New style classes and rich comparison

Stian Søiland stain at
Wed Dec 17 07:32:03 CET 2003

* Rainer Deyke spake thusly:
> Consider:
> class A(object):
>   def __hash__(self): return 5
> print hash(A) # Which function should this call?

The hash method of A's class, ie. A.__class__.__hash__, usually

Hmmm. I think I get your point. hash and cmp and so on should call
A.__class__.hash(A) to be generic enough.

It's still confusing.. =) And how should I resolve this issue with my
Dummy class? (it's ok for the Dummy class itself to be a Dummy, but it
didn't work well to make Dummy = Dummy())

Stian Søiland               Being able to break security doesn't make
Trondheim, Norway           you a hacker more than being able to hotwire  cars makes you an automotive engineer. [ESR]