Rekall and associated software go 100% GPL

Scott Ellsworth scott at alodar.com
Mon Dec 1 19:09:00 EST 2003

In article <3fb7eed4$0$12693$fa0fcedb at lovejoy.zen.co.uk>,
 "John Dean" <john at rygannon.com> wrote:

> On 10-Nov-2003, Ben Finney <bignose-hates-spam at and-benfinney-does-too.id.au>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:59:28 GMT, John Dean wrote:
> > > You should also be aware that in order for for us to continue the
> > > future development of Rekall we will have to charge for technical
> > > support, customisation, training and consulting, therefore, now that
> > > we have gone wholly GPL, you will have to take out a technical support
> > > subscription.
> >
> > Sounds like a fine way to fund development and infrastructure.
>
> We have to make a living. Now you wouldn't begrudge that, would you. Besides
> nobody is compelling you to take out a subscripion, are they. We could
> always revert back to the commercial license, if you would prefer.

Out of curiosity, has this change in focus made the MacOS X port more
likely or less?

I have emails from some months back about it happening, but slowly.
Given that this is the platform of choice for the decision makers at one
of my clients, this is going to be a neccesary, if not sufficient,
condition for them to adopt the software.

Scott
scott at alodar.com
Java, Cocoa, WebObjects and Database consulting
(I do speak Python, but not well enough to sell services in it.)