UserLinux chooses Python as "interpretive language" of choice

Ville Vainio ville.spammehardvainio at
Sat Dec 20 02:39:11 CET 2003

"John Roth" <newsgroups at> writes:

> a third is the ability to forget the empty parenthesis after
> a function/method call that doesn't require parameters.

Doesn't this suck big time? How can the interpreter tell whether you
are trying to call a function or just want a reference to a callable

> harder" syndrome. One of these days, someone is going
> to start chewing up the user base, and for a while it looked
> like Ruby might have been it.

I dunno. It just doesn't seem likely that people who have "got" Python
would switch to ruby. If the extra features of ruby were really
worthwhile, they would be added to Python (which has happened
before). I trust the Py development team to do the right decision at
all times (apart from ternary operator, obviously ;-).

Ville Vainio