Lists and Tuples

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Dec 9 02:35:29 EST 2003

Greg Ewing wrote:

> > Hmmm..Sep 31? Should I file a bug report? ;o)
>
> You're failing to take into account the (highly controversial)
> International Calendar Reform of 2006, which gave all months
> the same number of days. Python was, of course, the first
> language to have its datetime module updated to conform with
> the new standard.
>
> (Microsoft Java++#.NET was updated too, but in a subtly
> incompatible way -- all their months were given 30
> days instead.)

it's well known (at least to insiders) that the bug in MSJPCS.NET was the
reason for the reform.

a "32 days is better for computers" alternative was brought forward by the
usual suspects (IBM, Sun, etc, plus a bunch of bloggers hellbent on teaching
Dave Winer a lesson), but was, as usual, largely ignored by everyone else.

31 might be due to a EU translation error, but I'm not sure.  I also hear that
the french edition of the standard uses 13 days.

</F>