Is Python Mac Centric???

logistix at cathoderaymission.net logistix at cathoderaymission.net
Wed Dec 31 11:49:32 EST 2003

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message
> [hokieghal99]
>
> < I think it would have a much larger user base if Windows user got
> > what mac users get.
>
> It would, but why would Microsoft want to increase Python's user base?  They
> probably see Python as a competitor to their own programming language
> offerings, and they make money from the latter.
>
> > Could someone explain this to me?
>
> Not every company is primarily concerned with your best interests <wink>.

Microsoft has Resource Kit CD's that contain a bunch of "unsupported"
tools, some of which are required to do any serious system
administration.  For some strange reason, they include ActiveState
Perl, along with a zip file containing the source code, although it
doesn't install by default.  They must not have any worries about that
language competing seriously with their products ;-)