Small languages (was Re: Lua, Lunatic and Python

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Dec 15 13:26:05 EST 2003

Ville Vainio <ville.spammehardvainio at spamtut.fi> writes:

> Gustavo Niemeyer <niemeyer at conectiva.com> writes:
>
> > Heh.. "people should not".. That's the tipical RMS arrogance.
>
> To be fair to RMS, I must say I didn't quote him directly. Just tried
> to shoot in the right direction, more or less.
>
> BTW, the page
> http://www.gnu.org/gnu/rms-lisp.html
>
> Talks about this issue a bit, and
> says something that is more on topic and kinda interesting:
> ----
> We had a person working last summer finishing up a translator from
> Python to Scheme. I don't know if it's entirely finished yet, but for
> anyone interested in this project, please get in touch. So that's the
> plan we have for the future.

I think that might be quite out of date.  Not sure, mind.

[snippety]

> > > How small does it need to be for your application?
> >
> > Do you have something with 1kb? :-)
>
> Perhaps someone might be able to hack up a dynamically scoped Lisp
> interpreter in that space...

Well, there was the lisp interpreter that won the IOCCC a few years
back... that must have compiled to something pretty tiny :-)

Cheers.
mwh

--
  it's not that perl programmers are idiots, it's that the language
  rewards idiotic behavior in a  way that no other language or tool