un-tuple (newbie)

Martin Doering doeringm at gmx.de
Tue Dec 2 06:44:47 EST 2003

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 13:44:57 -0800, sdd <daniels at dsl-only.net> wrote:

>Personally, I'd call it "cursor", not "c".  Also my DB predeliction
>leads me to prefer calling it a "row", not a "line".

Yes, for shure. It was my first try.  :-)

>If you know (and don't care to check) that a single row is returned,
>with a single value, I might try something like this:
>
>   def single_value_query(db, sql):
>       cursor = db.cursor()
>       try:
>           cursor.execute(sql)
>           return cursor.fetchone()[0]
>       finally:
>           cursor.close()

Ah! This is exactly, what I was searching for. For shure, I must force
the query to just deliver ONE value back.

Thanks also to Heather. The indexing was the bit I did not know till
now.

The more I do with [J|Y]ython, the more I like the language. Very
elegant and clear to read.  :-)

--
Martin