ANN: pythonfs - create linux filesystems in python

Bengt Richter bokr at
Fri Dec 12 07:10:41 CET 2003

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 01:06:09 +1300, David McNab <david at> wrote:

>I've just built a framework which allows mountable linux filesystems to
>be implemented in pure python.
>It consists of a back-end to LUFS (, and is available from
>Simple to use - after adding the pythonfs code to LUFS, and
>building/installing, one only needs to copy the python
>module and flesh out the methods in the Filesystem class. Generous
>docstrings spell out exactly what is needed.
Thanks for the link. Maybe it can help if I ever get to trying some of the ideas in

I think using a vfs as an interface to windows/widget hierarchy would be particularly interesting.
And if the package noticed the difference between opening a widget-as-file in binary vs text mode,
one could have efficient marshalled packed data formats a la cpickle to define and initialize
GUI structures, as well as text interfaces for interactive noodling.

If it could be built on top of a low level video HAL a la frame buffer or maybe simulated via directx
or such, it could be interesting. If there was system support so that different processes could open
differently owned GUI subtrees from a shared "desktop" root, that you could switch between like F-keys
on linux between console windows, it might also lead to a different way of handling user login/access
control, and ... ramble, ramble ;-)

It would also make an interesting interface for output of graphic formats, whether graphs and plots,
or thin wrappers around pdf/postscript/svg/latex/windows-metafile/etc static formats, not to mention
smil and multimedia etc.

Bengt Richter