Speed: bytecode vz C API calls

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Dec 9 12:38:29 EST 2003

Jacek Generowicz wrote:

> aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:
>
>> Waitasec ....  okay, I see what your problem is, assuming you're
>> describing it correctly.  The problem is that you're calling Python
>> functions in an inner loop.
>
> ... indeedy ...
>
>> I think you're going to need to write a solution that doesn't call
>> functions (function unrolling, so to speak).  Instead of returning a
>> memoizer function, just use a dict of dicts.
>
> Sounds interesting. But how do I get the dictionary to use the
> function which it is memoizing, to calculate values which haven't been
> cached yet?

Guessing into the blue:

try:
    result = cache[fun, args]
except KeyError:
    result = cache[fun, args] = fun(args)

should make a fast inner loop if cache misses are rare.

> Hmm ... maybe by subclassing dict, I can add the necessary
> functionality ... but even then I don't see how to avoid wrapping the
> dictionary access in a function call ... and then we're back to square
> one.

Subclassing dict will not make it faster. Maybe it's time to show some inner
loop lookalike to the wider public for more to the point suggestions...

Peter