Small languages (was Re: Lua, Lunatic and Python

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Thu Dec 18 10:52:36 EST 2003

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Charles Steinkuehler <charles at steinkuehler.net> writes:
>> Which is why I think that a small Forth kernel talking directly to the
>> linux kernel is the best solution.
>
> Forth is such a contorted language though, it's best to avoid it
> unless you're desperate.

Forth as a language is not at all contorted.  Programming in Forth is
essentially creating a custom language to solve the problem at hand, so
Forth is simply reflecting the structure (or lack thereof) of the mind
of the programmer solving the problem.

Forth code can be as elegent or as twisted as you desire to make it.  In
this regard, Forth is far more unrestricted than even C, allowing just
about any form of nonsensical code.  While I generally like highly
structured languages with strong typechecking and other features to keep
the programmer out of trouble (ada, pascal, etc), the small size and
potent abilities of Forth make it highly suitable for specific problem
domains, especially if there are any resource constraints to deal with.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net