UserLinux chooses Python as "interpretive language" of choice

Hans Nowak hans at zephyrfalcon.org
Sat Dec 20 10:58:24 EST 2003

Ville Vainio wrote:

> Most importantly, why would anyone even care? Ability to optionally
> invoke a "call" operation on an object implicitly seems utterly
> worthless to me. It has the feel of perl philosophy (regexps in
> language syntaxm anyone? ), and it's not the only instance in Ruby. I
> don't really like the Perl philosophy (like most of the people who
> "get" Python), and I don't really believe a language whose designers
> appreciate the perlisms poses a serious threat to Python. Not even if
> they got some things right.

Hmm, I looked at Ruby a few months ago, and while it has more similarities to
Python than differences, its design philosophies are indeed very different.  As
such, it seems less "clean" to me than Python (but anyone's MMV, of course).
In some places it seems too "pure", in other places it adds a lot of extra
syntax for special cases.  It's just different from Python, but I expect that
many people don't care much about that.

The rise of Ruby may not be a good thing for Python, but I think that in the
long run, it's good for scripting/dynamic languages as a whole.  Python gets
another competitor, which wouldn't be possible if dynamic (agile?) languages
were not a viable choice.  Enough people are interested in dynamic languages
that there's room for another one.  So, in a way, it's a sign that people who
use one of these languages (be it Python, Perl, Ruby) are on the right track.

As for switching... I like Ruby's code blocks (although not necessarily the way
they are used), and maybe a few other small things, but I haven't seen anything
that would make me seriously consider switching.

--
Hans (hans at zephyrfalcon.org)
http://zephyrfalcon.org/