Is anyone using Python for .NET?

Brandon J. Van Every try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 19 08:05:25 EST 2003

"Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.net> wrote in message
news:23891c90.0312180345.6cdda060 at posting.google.com...

> Not at all. My point was that .NET apparently got cooked up when Sun
> rained on Microsoft's J++ parade. A lot of old timers made comparable
> remarks when Java emerged back in the mid-nineties because the
> portable virtual machine thing has a long history and has produced a
> lot of compelling competitors to Java, although the Java security
> model does seem like a differentiator to me.

Ok, to understand history (lest we be doomed to repeat it) why did Java
succeed as an industry dominant language where others failed?  Was it simple
things like level of support?

Incidentally, I just did a whirlwind tour of all the various languages
recognizably available on Usenet: Haskell, OCaml, Mercury, Bigloo, Erlang,
Common Lisp, Eiffel, quite a few really.  Although I'm satisfied with Python
from a high level applications glueing standpoint, I'm not satisfied from a
low-level performance language interop standpoint.  So I wanted to see if
there was something that was both high level and generated much faster code
for 2D image processing type problems.  What I decided was, Python has too
much community, library, and industry support behind it, and a lot of these
other languages carry major design risks, i.e. going from imperative to
functional programming.  So as of today, Python is winning in practice
despite whatever might be better in theory.

See any parallels with Java or C# history debates?

> > I'd say the latter, since otherwise, it would be Java and we'd all be
> > doing our language interop in Java.
>
> Well, I get a fair amount of mileage out of Jython, Apache Axis (SOAP)
> and so on, but I guess that this isn't your point.

It could be for your problem domain, but it isn't for mine.

> and I can imagine that the Mono
> people have pushed it even further to leverage various components
> implemented in C/C++.
>
> Perhaps we will be doing all our development in .NET-related
> technologies in five years time. I just hope that if this is the case,
> Microsoft don't do a SCO and hit everyone up with $799 "licence"
> demands.

I would hope that there's a replacement strategy for the interop concept.
Aren't the FSF guys doing something like that?

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.