Test if IDLE is a mature program

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 31 13:07:32 EST 2003

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 09:48:07 -0500, "Aubrey Hutchison"
<abhjrpe at comcast.net> wrote:
> Why do we need to do some tinkering with IDLE if is a mature design? There
> should never be a need for special names of program files for it to work
> otherwise it requires tinkering.

If you use any development tool to create a DLL called msvcrt.dll
and save it in the wrong place then try to run your system you
will find quite a few problems. Does that mean there are no
mature development tools out there? Maybe by your definition of
mature. But again to use your analogy if I put diesel in my car
when its designed to run on unleaded gas it won't work. Users of
development tools are expected to know some basics, users of cars
are expected to know what fuel to use....

If you save your select.py in a place where Python/IDLE won't
look for it then its OK but if you replace a system file then of
course it won't work. That's not Python or IDLE's fault.

> > >Save this simple single line program as "select.py"  and try to run it.
> > >
> > >Then exit IDLE and try to restart IDLE.
> >
> > You might try renaming your module to something that is not a standard
> > library module imported by IDLE itself... ;-)

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website