Naming conventions for iterator methods?

Serge Orlov sombDELETE at pobox.ru
Tue Dec 23 15:45:45 EST 2003

"John J. Lee" <jjl at pobox.com> wrote in message news:8765g7jp6j.fsf at pobox.com...
> François Pinard <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> writes:
> [...]
> > [1] I mean, nearly French, as the necessary diacritics may not be
> > used in Python identifiers, which is a common and constant source of
> > displeasure to those of us who especially like working in French.  Oh,
> > Python does not differ on this aspect than most other programming
> > languages.  However, as Python is so satisfying in many other areas, we
> > had some vague hope that he might become better in this particular one.
> > Especially given that, for a tiny moment, it once worked correctly for
> > French -- but sadly, this was the consequence of a Python bug which has
> > been corrected since.
>
> I don't feel qualified, or morally righteous <wink> enough to have a
> hard opinion on whether this would be a good thing, as an English
> monoglot, but I don't see what the problem is with adding this
> feature.  It seems only fair and symmetrical to allow unicode
> identifiers.  Yes, it'd confuse the hell out of people like me to have
> to read a Python program written in Korean characters.  But it'd
> confuse me just as much if it were written in Korean but
> transliterated into Roman characters in plain old ASCII.

There is generic problem for non-latin alphabets: keyboard is
too small to accommodate two alphabets so you have to
switch frequently between languages if you're going to type
python code with non-latin identifiers. Try it, it's pain. I wouldn't
use this feature personally.
There's an advanced keyboard switcher for rus/eng input "Punto
Switcher" that knows about rare combinations of letters and is
able to automagically switch keyboard. But I'm sceptical it will
work for code as good as for pure text. I may try it when I have
time. Anyway it's a hack.

> Has this been a problem Java, in practice?
>
> Or is the problem simply that it's considered that there's not good
> enough unicode support in editors and other tools yet?  Again, I'm
> surprised if that's the case with all this Java code floating around.
>
> Has it been PEPed?  Or is GvR's opinion on it obvious enough that
> nobody has bothered?

GvR comment:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2002-July/026553.html
quote:
"Allowing non-ASCII identifiers may eventually happen, but there are
lots of reasons why it's a bad idea "

-- Serge.