Can Python be run off of a CD-ROM?

Eddie Corns eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 07:10:49 EST 2003

"BJ MacNevin" <BJ at replyhere.now> writes:

>Hi all,

>I teach middle school and am currently trying to bring some computer science
>to the students. Our district has a wonderfully linked network throughout
>all our schools... done via MS Windows Network. In order to protect the
>network, our district's IT department does not want things installed on the
>system (or at least makes it VERY difficult to get it done). SO, I am using
>MSW Logo installed onto a CD-ROM... we just stick in the CD-ROMS and run it
>off of them.

>BUT, I am learning about Python and think it is TERRIFIC! So I wonder if I
>can do the same thing... or something similar? Is there a way to install
>Python on a CD-ROM, too, if we don't need it to be accessed from a command
>prompt?

You *could* kill two birds with on CD by running a real OS (BSD or Linux) from
CD with Python built in.  Just a point to consider, don't get too worked up
about it (it's a bit slow mind you).

Anyway, to answer the main question.  You can create a file system with all the
Python files on it and run from there but I think the main problem is search
paths and the like.  I believe you ideally need to get the relevant information
into the registry but if you're not able to I think this is problematic.  So
I was wondering whether there was a howto on running Python from Windows
without it being in the registry (and for the OP how do you get it in the
registry without an install process).  I have similar problems running from a
USB memory key but at least there I can write files to the same directory
where the binaries are (though it's not ideal).

Eddie