[Fwd: RE: Is anyone using Python for .NET?]

Doveclaw doveclaw at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 20 20:14:06 EST 2003

-----Forwarded Message-----
From: Mark Hammond <mhammond at skippinet.com.au>
To: 'James Tanis' <jtanis at charter.net>
Subject: RE: Is anyone using Python for .NET?
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 11:25:40 +1100

> 	Just wondering, because this discussion peaked my
> interest.. but why do
> you disagree.. I understand your opinion that the market right now for
> this product are "average" programmer's who happily except
> being dumbed
> down.. but why (if you do) do you disagree with his statement
> about .NET
> support being advantageous to *nix.

I wasn't clear.  I believe it will be advantageous to *nix, but not
necessarily in terms of directly reusing code originally written "for
Windows".

It is just that the biggest market now in Windows is for these large
insurance companies writing "business logic" etc, and that I doubt any of
*that* code will end up running on Linux.

> I don't believe he's saying that. What I think he's saying is that
> Microsoft developed it to basically make there Operating System's that
> much more tasty, and advantageous.. because when developing with .NET
> they will not be hindered with incompatible legacy
> applications. Whether
> this is true or not I do not know, I haven't yet looked into .NET as a
> solution.

Right - if he was simply stating "MS continue to innovate in order to
continue selling OSs", I agree.  Let's not forget programs like Office
though too - .NET could help these products at the *expense* of their OS
division, assuming things ever got good enough to run a .NET forms based app
on *nix.  If programs are written to .NET, the OS no longer matters.  In
theory of course :)

Mark.
--
Doveclaw <doveclaw at users.sourceforge.net>