dynamic typing question

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Fri Dec 26 10:04:05 EST 2003

In article <mailman.355.1071850867.9307.python-list at python.org>,
Jason Tesser <JTesser at nbbc.edu> wrote:
>I work for at a college where I am one of 2 full-time developers and we
>are looking to program a new
>software package fro the campus. This is a huge project as it will
>include everything from registration to
>business office.  We are considering useing Java or Python.  I for one
>don't like Java because I feel the
>GUI is clunky.  I also think that we could produce quality programs
>faster in Python.
			.
			.
			.
>OK what are your guys thoughts here?  How have you all overcome the lack
>of static typing?  Is Python a
>bad decision here?   By the way we will be using Postgres in the back if
>that matters to anyone.

Along with everything others have already written--that
you want to focus on test-driven development, that Python
is a proven success in Serious Applications, and so on--
your description raises a few concerns in my mind:
1.  Why, in your mind or your teammate's,
    is dynamic typing a "lack"?  What, pre-
    cisely, is the benefit of static typing?
    There are a number of legitimate
    answers.  It occurs to me that, without
    precision on which interest you, we
    might be missing an opportunity to
    clarify "The Python Way" significantly.
2.  Most application-level Python code
    doesn't--and shouldn't!--employ dynamic
    typing in any material way.  Does that
    help?
3.  Postgres is good stuff.  Its support for
    Python has improved quite a bit over the
    past few years.
4.  My instinct tells me that, yes, you can
    produce quality results quicker with Py-
    thon.
5.  In writing, "the GUI is clunky" about
    Java, what do you mean?  Are you refer-
    ring to a particular IDE, or a specific
    GUI toolkit?  Java has several of each;
    perhaps alternatives would suit you
    better.
6.  Are there alternatives to having the
    two of you write a "package" from
    scratch?  A LOT of software for college
    administration has been written already;
    is none of it appropriate for your situ-
    ation?
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net