Lists and Tuples

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Dec 7 22:42:17 EST 2003

In article <br0r2a$2572i2$1 at ID-169208.news.uni-berlin.de>,
 "Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de)" <g2h5dqi002 at sneakemail.com>
 wrote:

> Douglas Alan wrote:
> > mwilson at the-wire.com (Mel Wilson) writes:
> >
> >>   To me, it's a distinction without a difference.  Tuples
> >>*act* like immutable sequences, and I use them that way.  I
> >>don't know, though, that I won't get caught some day.
> >
> > You'll be fine.  The only thing you have to watch out for is that some
> > rude folks here might call you names.
>
> That would add some spice to Python's error messages...
>
> Python 3.7 (#1, Sep 31 2007, 14:19:37)
> [GCC 5.6.7] on slartibartfast
>  >>> t = (1, 3, 77, 654, 8)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> HumiliationError: The programmer is a pink-faced baboon (tuple used where
> list would be more appropriate)

In MVP (Microsoft Visual Python), the "auto-correct" function would just
silently change the ()'s to []'s as you typed them.  If you tried to
change them back, clippy would pop up on the screen and say, "You seem
to be trying to do something un-pythonic.  Would you like some
assistance?".  If you tried to make clippy go away, it would offer to
"install this critical security patch immediately".