filter and map / deprecated?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Dec 17 23:36:27 EST 2003

"Logan" <logan at phreaker.nospam> wrote in message
news:pan.2003.12.17.18.35.25.713854 at phreaker.nospam...
> I read in PEP 279 the following comment by GvR:
>
>     "filter and map should die and be subsumed
into list
>     comprehensions, not grow more variants."
>
> Actually, I am using 'filter' and 'map' a lot in
my scripts
> (not really because they are necessary, but more
because I
> like them). Should I avoid the usage of 'filter'
and 'map'
> in the future? The above comment by GvR makes me
a little
> bit afraid that they will become deprecated one
day and that
> I will have to change many of my scripts then.

Removing filter, map, etc, totally would be a
contentious and controversial move and would make
many people unhappy.  I do not anticipate it.

It has been proposed on PyDev that they be moved
to a 'functional' module (name not yet decided),
perhaps with other stuff added, and I believe that
Guido said he would be amenable to that.  This I
do anticipate.  The threshhold for being in a
module is much lower than the threshhold for being
added to and eventually for remaining in the
builtins.

So I would continue with your preference with the
expectation that some years from now you would
have to run 2.x scripts through a search and
replace script to run them with Python 3.  But I
expect that will be true anyway to cope with other
changes.  I also expect that people will use
2.final for years after the arrival of 3.0  (Just
as 1.5.2 is still in use today.)

Terry J. Reedy