[Python-Dev] rexec.py unuseable

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Dec 15 20:10:23 CET 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 12:01:07PM -0600, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Luke> well, uhm, if [rexec]'s broken, why hasn't it been reverted to the
>     Luke> 2.0 code?
> My understanding was that in 2.0 it was also broken, but that (relatively)
> recent changes to Python made the breakage easier to exploit.

the issue is [back-tracking to the 2.0 code],

were those "breakages" actually features, or were they definitely

was it 1)

	was it just unexpected behaviour in that a function
	_called_ by a rexec'd restricted routine could do,
	for example writes;

	was it that an unrestricted function, module or
	variable imported by a rexec'd restricted routine or
	module could be accessed.

	e.g. like this:

	contents of bypassmodule.py:

		import open as unrestrictedopen

	then code run under rexec:

		from bypassmodule import unrestrictedopen

	both of these things i would consider to be
	totally acceptable behaviour of the [2.] rexec.py

	i would NOT consider them to be a bug, and in fact
	are desirable behaviour in order to get my code working.

	i believe that there exists in [2.0] rexec a mechanism
	to specify what functions are allowed in a particular
	module, so i could restrict access to the
	bypassmodule.unrestrictedopen function, if necessary.

OR was it 2)

	a genuine bug.

> As for alternatives, I suggest you post a query on comp.lang.python (aka
> python-list at python.org).

> Skip

expecting email to be received and understood is a bit like
picking up the telephone and immediately dialing without
checking for a dial-tone; speaking immediately without listening
for either an answer or ring-tone; hanging up immediately and
then expecting someone to call you (and to be able to call you).
every day, people send out email expecting it to be received
without being tampered with, read by other people, delayed or
simply - without prejudice but lots of incompetence - destroyed.
please therefore treat email more like you would a CB radio
to communicate across the world (via relaying stations):
ask and expect people to confirm receipt; send nothing that
you don't mind everyone in the world knowing about...