ANN: lunatic-python 0.1

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sat Dec 13 20:29:19 EST 2003

On 13 Dec 2003 14:39:56 -0800, Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

>"Terry Reedy" <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>> Accessing above with default IE6 brings up Untrusted Certificate
>> page.  With choices Proceed, Stop, AddCertificate (to root table).
>> It seems conectiva issued itself its own certificate.  I hope this
>> is just silliness rather than a devious attempt to get people to
>> accept its self-certification, which I was not about to do.
>
>There's no way to turn off that dialog in IE except by using a cert
>from a recognized CA, which usually costs money.  Using a self-signed
>cert gives you a private communications channel (unless the DNS is
>hijacked by an active attacker) even though it doesn't provide
>authentication.  Lots of people use self-signed certs instead of
>paying for commercial certs.

Well, connectiva doesn't use https for their home page ;-)

    http://www.conectiva.com.br/

But apparently all access to the moin.connectiva.com.br domain is intercepted.
If the whole thing is a wiki, I can see the reason to track updaters, but OTOH,
if publishing information is the goal, maybe they could provide read-only access
via another name, e.g., http://moinro.connectiva.com.br/, if they want to keep things
as they are for the original name. Or just show a limited sub-tree of the wiki, which
members could avoid if they didn't want their contributions read outside the group.

Regards,
Bengt Richter