UserLinux chooses Python as "interpretive language" of choice

John Roth newsgroups at jhrothjr.com
Fri Dec 19 19:29:57 EST 2003

"Ville Vainio" <ville.spammehardvainio at spamtut.fi> wrote in message
news:du7ekv0z7g3.fsf at amadeus.cc.tut.fi...
> I don't know if you have seen this before, but here goes:
>
> http://text.userlinux.com/white_paper.html
>
> There is a jab at Python, though, mentioning that Ruby is more
> "refined".

I'm not sure about refined, but it does seem to have several
things that I think I'd like. One is a much
better way of handling anonymous functions, aka "blocks."
Another is the pervasive use of the visitor pattern, and
a third is the ability to forget the empty parenthesis after
a function/method call that doesn't require parameters.

On the other hand, I'm mildly agnostic over the builtin
function versus method issue.

The biggest problem is that I think Python is beginning
to sucumb to the "we're better so we don't have to try
harder" syndrome. One of these days, someone is going
to start chewing up the user base, and for a while it looked
like Ruby might have been it.

John Roth