beginner python cgi question

Brandon Boles email at nowhere.foo
Sat Dec 13 05:08:59 EST 2003

Hi folks,

I am trying to learn python, and have a form processing script giving me
this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "inquiry", line 16, in ?
    Address=fields["address"].value
  File "/usr/local/python2.2/lib/python2.2/cgi.py", line 550, in __getitem__
    raise KeyError, key
KeyError: address

This is the snippet of code the error is referring to:

...snip...
fields=cgi.FieldStorage()
    if (fields.has_key("name") and fields.has_key("emailaddr")):
        SenderName=fields["name"].value
        Address=fields["address"].value
        City=fields["city"].value
        State=fields["state"].value
...snip...

I think what the problem is that if my form does not have one of the
fields (except 'name' and 'emailaddr') with data in it, I get this error.
What is the best way to fix this?

Please be kind, this is my first attempt at python.  Thanks for the help!

Brandon