dynamic typing question

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at gazeta.usun.pl
Fri Dec 19 17:20:39 EST 2003

Jason Tesser <JTesser at nbbc.edu> pisze:

> I work for at a college where I am one of 2 full-time developers and
> we are looking to program a new software package fro the campus. This
> is a huge project as it will include everything from registration to
> business office.  We are considering useing Java or Python.  I for one
> don't like Java because I feel the GUI is clunky.  I also think that
> we could produce quality programs faster in Python.
>
> The other programmer here is very concerned about dynamic typing
> though in Python.  He feels like this would be too much of a
> hinderance on us and too easy for us to make a mistake and not catch
> it until runtime making debugging harder.
>
> OK what are your guys thoughts here?  How have you all overcome the
> lack of static typing?  Is Python a bad decision here?   By the way we
> will be using Postgres in the back if that matters to anyone.

If Python is good for banks[1], insurance companies[2], guys that do big
booms[3] and other significant parties, why colleges are worry?

[1]. This month I heard that some bank in Spain decided to use Pyro
(Python Remote Objects).
[2]. I work in one of them.
[3]. Lawrence Livermoore National Laboratory. You know. These guys that
made the Bikini Islands disappeared.

Dynamic typing (with all other flexibility that Python offers) is a
wonderful thing. I'm really sick when I must write anything in
ObjectPascal.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Unregistered Linux User # -1