Project dream

Brandon J. Van Every try_vanevery_at_mycompanyname at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 17:59:34 EST 2003

"Will Stuyvesant" <hwlgw at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cb035744.0312261236.11d785ac at posting.google.com...
> Suppose you have the time and the money to start a new project in
> Python.  What would you like to do?
>
> I can think of:
>
> - A civilization like game in Python, with multiplayer support via
> twisted.

Will, are you aware that I'm beginning exactly this project?  Well, not the
twisted bit, I don't even know what that is or why one would want it.
Please see my post "ProtoCiv: porting Freeciv to Python."  I'd be interested
in your feedback even if my project goals don't match yours.

> - A roguelike in Python.  Since there is still no portable curses, it
> needs WConio or something like that, and also multiplayer would be
> great.

There's Umbra.  http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~kamikaze/Umbra/  Graphics and
gameplay aren't great, but it is something to start with.

If you go to http://www.thangorodrim.net/ and search with the keyword
"Python," you will find some roguelikes that claim to have various amounts
of Python support in them.  I haven't chased any of these down myself
though.  At some point I gave up on the "do a RPG" project excuse, opting
instead for 4X TBS because it's more directly applicable to my Ocean Mars
project.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

20% of the world is real.