OT: Why -g when compiling

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Dec 24 11:59:32 CET 2003

miki.tebeka at zoran.com (Miki Tebeka) writes:

> Hello Michael,
> > > Can anyone tell me why when builiding Python gcc gets "-g" option as well as "-O3"?
> > > Apart from bigger objects what does "-g" gives a non-developer of Python?
> >
> > It means if you manage to core python, we can hold your hands to find
> > out with gdb where it's crashed.  Why do you ask?
> Just out of curiosity. Seen it in many apps when building and always
> wondered.
> > Disk space is cheap.
> Yes but memory sometimes isn't.

True.  I don't know if the various linkers around are smart enough to
not load debugging information until it's asked for...

> On my cygwin installation the libpython2.3.dll goes from 2.9MB to
> 1.1MB. On machines with little RAM (embdded ...) this matters a lot.

Oh sure, but if you're in an embedded situation, I would *hope* that
you don't just blindly use the default compile options!

  My first thought was someone should offer Mr. Bush elocution
  lessons.  But he'd probably say he knew how to work them chairs
  already.                            -- Internet Oracularity #1294-01