Standalone client database for Python?

Harry George harry.g.george at boeing.com
Wed Dec 17 05:16:35 EST 2003

Gustavo Campanelli <birdiepageANTI at SPAMciudad.FILTERcom.ar> writes:

> What are our options for a standalone (that is one that's not
> client/server) easily accesible from Python?
> I'm not going to ask for special features as this is only to see what
> is avaiable and used (most used most probably meaning well maintained
> project).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Gedece

For embedded dbms's, you can get bindings for gdbm, dbm, sqlite.

Maybe you could use a client server after all.  E.g., you could set up
postgresql so that only a particular user on the local box can access
the database.  In terms of access authorization this is equiv of an
embedded dbms.

For "most maintained", mysql and postgresql would be hard to beat in
client/server space.  For embedded dbms's, I'd guess Berkeley DB would
be the winner (http://www.sleepycat.com/)

harry.g.george at boeing.com
6-6M31 Knowledge Management
Phone: (425) 342-5601