MySQLdb and distutil errors?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Sat Feb 1 10:31:59 EST 2003

Colin wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> First off, let me say that I'm a Python newbie.

Welcome to the club :-)

> I just started
> playing around with it, but I'm running into some problems trying to
> get things installed.  I want to install the MySQLdb module, but when
> I try to run "python2.2 setup.py build" for MySQLdb I get the
> following error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 6, in ?
>     from distutils.core import setup
> ImportError: No module named distutils.core

You're using some Linux flavour, right? Most Linux distributions have
split up Python into several packages, one of them being the
"development" package. If this is the case, you'll have to install the
Python development package, normally ending in "-dev" or "-devel".

> So okay, I don't have the distutils module.  I find that a little
> weird, since I thought all later version of Python came with
> distutils.

Yep.

> But anyways, I tried to install the distutils, [...]

I suggest installing distutils by installing the development package
made by your distribution.

Gerhard
--
Favourite database:             http://www.postgresql.org/