ternary operator vote

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Feb 11 21:50:18 EST 2003

Bengt Richter wrote:

> But you can't express an opinion that says, "I'm willing to accept
> C or D or no change, but I am dead set against B."

Sure you can, you just don't vote for that.

The +1 ... -1 responses you see in the newsgroup are just shorthand for
people expressing their like, dislike, or anything in between.  This is
actually fairly common for PEP discussions and has nothing to do with
this particular PEP.

So far no voting process suggested (that I've seen) except yours would
involve people expressing the -1 ... +1 values on the _votes_
themselves; you'd, like any voting process, vote for or against
something or abstain, or in the case of approval voting, vote for as
many of the alternatives as you like.

> BTW, we could vote by just posting to a special voting
> thread with some formatted lines from an official template like

Yes, making a voting template and taking the actual vote itself is very
straightforward.

> Actually, I'd like to be able to weight E, F, and G differently.
> Perhaps
> we could have three columns for different voting marks, the first for
> pure
> approval 0/1 style, the second for {-1,-0,+0,+1} and another for
> +-cents
> of a total voting budget of one voting dollar per choice.

Okay, so in this process where you can vote between -1 and +1 on any or
all of the alternatives, what in the world is the distinction between +0
and -0?  What's the difference between entering a 0 and leaving the
entry blank?

/  \ Do not seek death.  Death will find you.
\__/ Dag Hammarskjold
    Esperanto reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/lang/esperanto/
 An Esperanto reference for English speakers.