Python's 8-bit cleanness deprecated?

Michael Hudson mwh at
Wed Feb 5 16:10:42 CET 2003

Erik Max Francis <max at> writes:

> Roman Suzi wrote:
> > That is why I am asking for unconditional raw 8-bit cleanness of
> > Python
> > without any -*- things...
> Personally, I think it's an extremely good idea.

Me too.  I'll also observe that editing files in GNU Emacs 21 that
have characters with the high bit set and don't have a coding cookie
is exceptionally annoying so putting the coding in not only soothes
Python, but also potential contributors.

  Unfortunately, nigh the whole world is now duped into thinking that
  silly fill-in forms on web pages is the way to do user interfaces.
                                        -- Erik Naggum, comp.lang.lisp