Compiling Python with Tk Support

Darren Watson darren at coolpink.net
Sun Feb 23 17:47:42 EST 2003

Hi

I'm trying to compile python with Tk support on Red Hat Linux with
Python 2.3a2.

I have built and installed tcl 8.4 and tk 8.4, but when I try and make
Python I get:

./python: error while loading shared libraries: libtk8.4.so: cannot

However this file does exist in /usr/local/lib/libtk8.4.so

I have uncommented the _tkinter lines in the Modules/Setup file, but I
can't work out why this isn't working.  I also have Python 2.2.1
installed, but I am trying to install the latest version to
/home/darren/python2.3 using ./configure
--prefix=/home/darren/python2.3

I would appreciate any advice to help sort this problem out.

Regards

Darren