Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat Feb 8 11:54:20 EST 2003

In article <mailman.1044638179.4983.python-list at python.org>,
Guido van Rossum  <guido at python.org> wrote:

>    The proposed syntax is as follows:
>
>        <expression1> if <condition> else <expression2>

I've been flipping between -1 and +1 (going through -0 and +0) as various
arguments are put forth.  What's put me mostly in the -1 camp is the use
of the ternary operator in an if statement.  That's just too ugly for
words.  I would be willing to abstain from (or possibly even vote for) a
proposal that reads left-to-right *and* doesn't muck with the if
statement.  So far, the only proposals that work on those grounds are

    <cond> ? <exp1> : <exp2>

and

    when <cond> then <exp1> else <exp2>

Register for PyCon now!  http://www.python.org/pycon/reg.html