PEP 308 vote type (was Re: Update to PEP308: if-then-else expression)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at
Wed Feb 12 17:39:36 CET 2003

"Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy)" <tdelaney at> wrote in message
news:mailman.1045027246.13843.python-list at
> From: Terry Reedy [mailto:tjreedy at]

>> "Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy)" <tdelaney at> wrote in
>>> +0 on having a ternary at all (was -0, but found an option I

>> That is not exactly an option.  The currently-used ternary,
>> conditional on the first option being non-null, is "test and opt1
>> opt 2".  To me, 100 uses in the standard library makes it
>> quasi-officially 'blessed'.  In any case, it is a straightforward
>> application of Python's syntax rules.  This is the status quo that
>> no vote is voting for.

>Now that's just silly.

What I tried to say is "A vote against change is a vote for the status
quo" which hardly seems silly to me at all.

> You knew precisely what I meant.

Given your response, which I have probably also misinterpreted, I
obviously misunderstood you.  My apologies.

Terry J. Reedy