PEP308: Yet another syntax proposal

Michael Hudson mwh at
Wed Feb 12 14:53:51 CET 2003

Paul Rubin <> writes:

> I don't see it that way.  I see a camp that wants a clear, definite,
> explicit way to express a conditional expression, and a camp that
> prefers "Secret Master Pythonista" bizarre idioms like "x and y or z,
> with rework required if it turns out that y can be None or 0 or the
> empty list".

Well, then you have to explain me.

I don't think the addition of any of the proposed conditional
expressions to Python would be a good thing.

I *do not* prefer the "_ and _ or _" abomin^Widiom.

I think the Peters-ly signoff to my last post on this subject will be
appended to any more I make:

learn-to-love-the-return-key-ly y'rs,

  I think perhaps we should have electoral collages and construct
  our representatives entirely of little bits of cloth and papier
  mache.          -- Owen Dunn,, from his review of the year