Python training time (was)

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Sat Feb 1 10:38:45 EST 2003

"Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> wrote in message news:<fZD_9.914$ek4.91595 at newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...
> <snip>
> So, how much time do you have to put into Python before you've mastered
> *every* aspect of the language?  I do mean "every."  Less than a year?  6
> months?  3 months?  Be honest.

Being honest, I would say that one cannot *never* claim having
mastered
*every* aspect of Python (or any other serious programming language).
I think that Guido himself would not claim he masters *every* aspect
of
Python.

Having said that, I think what *really* matters is the time needed to
have a
working knowledge of the language, i.e. to be able to have your job
done.

I would say the time needed to have a working knowledge of Python is
is *much* smaller than the corresponding time for C++. Much, much
smaller.
How much smaller depends on the person and on the job you have to do,
but I think a *very* conservative estimate is at least half the time.
Also, I would not be surprised to hear somebody claiming he can learn
Python
five-six times faster than C++.

I would be curious to hear from others about their experience in
learning times for the two languages.

Best regards,

                              Michele