OT - Python with CVS or SourceSafe

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at cox.net
Sun Feb 2 13:47:18 EST 2003

"dsavitsk" <dsavitsk at e-coli.net> wrote in message
news:ma5%9.212$PH1.115538 at newssrv26.news.prodigy.com...

> I have tried a number of times to use CVS but I never had much luck
getting
> started as the documentation was either a mess or not found by me.  Last,
> while VSS is expensive, my time is worth a lot to me, so if CVS takes
> forever to learn or use, that is an important consideration, although the
> same can be said of VSS.

You should give Subversion (svn) (http://subversion.tigris.org/ ) a look.
You can create a file based repository instead of a server based. No need
for a big hassle in setting it (a server) up especially if your a one person
shop. Server based is available as a web-dav extension to apache2 and a
standalone daemon is also available.  I like the command line but there are
a couple of visual interface tools, tortoiseSVN and a Java based viewer
whose name I can't recall right now but was announced on the list with in
the past day or so.

SVN is in beta, but I feel that it is stable enough that I migrated off of
VSS, especially since it didn't have much for me since I'm moving away from
MS tools.  I've been running on it for about 3 months now. No problems.  If
you had problems getting your own CVS server set up not to mention the
bewildering array of options for the client do yourself a favor and take a
look.

have fun!
-Jeff