Newbie: question about Tkinter

Locash built4living at excite.com
Fri Feb 28 18:33:36 CET 2003

Hi,

I am a recreational programmer who has decided to give Python a try.
Up until this point, I have always managed to find a resource that
would help me out when I got into trouble, but not this time.  I
recently turned my attention towards tkinter, and I am afraid I am
stumped.  I just want to know how to put an image on a canvas.  I am
sure I am missing something simple, but can someone help me out?  TIA.

This is what I have:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from Tkinter import *

class Application(Frame):

    def __init__(self, master=None):

        Frame.__init__(self, master)
        self.pack()
        self.createWidgets()

    def createWidgets(self):

        img = PhotoImage(file='test.gif')

        self.canvas = Canvas(self, height=200, width=300, bg='white')
        self.canvas.pack()
        self.canvas.create_image (10, 10, image=img)

app = Application()

app.mainloop()

When I run this, I get the frame and the canvas, but nothing on it.
What am I missing?

Thanks,
Locash