Python IDE ERIC3

Ken Godee ken at perfect-image.com
Wed Feb 19 17:49:54 EST 2003

> > I have tried to install this on Windows and run into a lot of problems.
> >
> > First of all I had to install:
> >
> > Qt (latest version but it is a demo - the non commercial version doesn't
> > work with QScintilla)
> > SIP
> > PyQt
> > QScintilla
> >
> > PyQt doesn't build properly, maybe because it is meant for the
> > non-commercial version of Qt (version 2.3!) but then QScintilla requires
> > Qt
> > 3 or above.
> >
> > The thing is I don't even want to develop any Qt software so I don't want
> > the whole SDK installed. I've looked for a simple binary runtime download
> > on
> > the Trolltech site but they don't seem to have one! It would be a good
> > idea
> > to make a binary package of Eric3 (ie. with PyQt extension prebuilt and
> > Qt ,
> > QScintilla runtime components only (just the dlls)). Maybe put Qt and
> > QScintilla in a separate download in case people already have them.
> >
> > It looks an excellent IDE by the look of the screenshots. I'm sure you
> > would
> > have much more users if it was easier to install!
> >
> > John
>
> Don't get me started....
>
> I agree - it might be more popular if it was possible to install it.  Keep
> in mind however, it is not licensed to be run under Windows because Qt is
> not GPL'd for Win32.  I was reminded of this and was told to stop trying to
> install it on Windows.  Also, even if you could get it installed, I  don't
> think it was even tested or coded to run on Win32 so it probably has all
> kinds of gotchas.
>
> I also tried a fresh install of Linux for the sole purpose of checking this
> IDE out and gave up after 3 days of failing to satisfy all dependencies.
> The older verison went in no problem, but it lacks most of the features of
> v3.  You are not alone in your installation woes...

I'll step in and say "Eric3" is an outstanding piece of work
and I've installed it on three different Linux (rh7.3) machines and
had no problems at all! My only suggestion is to make sure
to read the readme's and use CURRENT snapshots of QScintilla,
sip, eric3 and PyQt, there's been alot of changes in these programs
in the last couple of months. The whole install takes about a couple
of hours and is a great setup!
  PyQt does not work with the Qt Demo version (linux or win)
you must run gpl or commerical version w/commercial version of
PyQt.
Don't pass it up, it's a cool program.