STV again (was Re: PEP 308 vote type (was Re: Update to PEP308: if-then-else expression))

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Feb 12 12:15:32 EST 2003

"Aahz" <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote in message
news:b2dr9l$7it$1 at panix2.panix.com...
> In article <lXq2a.171362$0v.4748174 at news1.tin.it>,
> Alex Martelli  <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
> >
> >I think if you construct all cases in which approval and STV give
> >different results, STV's outcome is a better match for the voters'
> >collective preferences.
>
> Not according to http://www.electionmethods.org/
>
> If we're going to go through the rigamarole of STV, we're
*definitely*
> going for Condorcet, which is provably better than STV.
>
> Note that STV == IRV (Instant Runoff Voting).

Here is a 'do both' compromise.  List alternatives A, B, C, ... with
'do-nothing' at top or bottom.  Voting instruction: list alternatives
in order of preference, and use a vertical bar '|' to separate
acceptable from unacceptable alternatives.  Example: CA|BD.  Then the
votes could be analyzed both as preference votes and and approval
votes.  (Python makes this pretty simple to do 8-).  Given that the
vote is advisory, multiple analyses are acceptible, even with varying
results.

Terry J. Reedy