Found urllib strangeness with redirects - is this really a problem?

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 28 03:13:21 EST 2003

Akai Majo Sizer
>   Note: RFC 1945 and RFC 2068 specify that the client is not allowed
>   to change the method on the redirected request.  However, most
>   existing user agent implementations treat 302 as if it were a 303
>   response, performing a GET on the Location field-value regardless
>   of the original request method. The status codes 303 and 307 have
>   been added for servers that wish to make unambiguously clear which
>   kind of reaction is expected of the client.
>
> Is this even worth caring about? Maybe at least a comment in the code?
> Personally, my problem is solved, but it was a bear to figure out what
> was going on, so I thought I'd mention it.

Me?  I prefer that it match the specification.  Eg, suppose I'm using urllib
for something besides POST, like a HEAD or a DELETE or ....  I don't
want that turned into a GET request.  A browser can get away with it because
for most of its cases a POST and GET are the same.

So no code change, but if you want to make a note somewhere you
can submit a patch to sourceforge.  I'm not sure about where to put that
comment.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com