OT: Top Posting

Sheila King usenet at thinkspot.net
Sun Feb 9 18:42:17 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:28:08 -0800, "David LeBlanc" <whisper at oz.net> wrote
in comp.lang.python in article
<mailman.1044656839.28660.python-list at python.org>:

> I've never quite understood why it's considered rude to top-post, especially
> given that most people quote emails verbatim in their reply. I already read
> that, and I want the new stuff - why scroll past the old stuff to get to the
> new stuff? It does make sense to embed responses when you're responding to
> something point by point, but that's not always the form of a reply.

Here are several references which explain why the inline quoting is
preferable. It really boils down to actual discussions taking place, in
which many people may be participating. Without properly nesting the quoted
material, it can be extremely difficult for someone reading the post later
to figure out the attributions and their source.

http://www.xs4all.nl/%7ewijnands/nnq/nquote.html
http://www.river.com/users/share/etiquette/#inline
http://www.mindspring.com/~frites/repl.htm#samp
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/g.mccaughan/g/remarks/uquote.html
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

Hope these additional sources of information make the reasons clearer for
you.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/