Python's XML and Openoffice.org

Wouter van Marle wouterm at spammers-unite-here.com
Thu Feb 13 23:35:26 EST 2003

Hi all!

I learnt Python has libraries to access XML (haven't diven into it yet).
And Openoffice.org also uses XML, right?

Now is there a way for Python to easily access openoffice files? And to
convert them into postscript?

What I want with this is the following: I am working on a fax application,
one of the features I want to build in is a coverpage which is easily user
editable. That they can include a header picture, some text, etc.
Furthermore I want the user to be able to add tags (e.g. @F@ which can be
replaced by the fax number).

What I ideally want is to simply read the text file line by line, replace
the tags with my strings, write the changed line back to the file, convert
it to postscript, and send it out. It would be perfect if the user can
simply edit the file in openoffice.org, having all the powerfull layout and
so from this suite. Of course the user could use <any> application that
handles XML files to build up the cover page file.
XML is ascii based, so the read-replace-write is in principle easy.
Major thing: how to go from XML to ps? And how about the graphics?

Wouter.