greed (was)

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Fri Feb 7 21:08:57 EST 2003

"Brandon Van Every" <vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com> writes:

> >> Things are working fine here for me.  W2K SP3...
> > I would say that's good evidence you aren't a power user, but just a
> > user with an application that soaks up CPU power.
> So I gotta run cron jobs all day long to be a "Power User" in your circle,
> is that it?  I can't just punish the 3D graphics HW?

No, you have to have a few dozen apps open at once. Using one hungry
app just makes you a user of that app, not a power user. I punish a
the 3d graphics engine on my PS2 regularly, but there's no way I'm a
power user of the thing.

> 20% of the world is real.
> 80% is gobbledygook we make up inside our own heads.

You should spend less time in the 80%, and more time in the 20%.

        <mike