Doc bug?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Feb 20 20:01:43 EST 2003

Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2003-02-18T18:49:45Z, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
>
> > "does not implement some of the syntax not used in X and which isn't Y"
> >       ^^^                              ^^^                     ^^^^^
> >
> > Double negatives are generally hard to read.  In this case, I'm not sure
> > if that's a double, triple, or what.
>
> Wouldn't that be similar to "does not affect people who are not blonde and
> who aren't tall."?  How did you interpret it?

That would be clear enough, but if you add in "some of" it appears to
obscure things enough (for my pea-sized brain anyway) to make it
borderline incomprehensible:

 "does not affect some people who are not blonde and who are not tall"

Like, does that mean it _does_ affect _some_ people who are not blonde
and tall?  And some who are blonde, or tall, or both?  If so, then
why mention it at all?  Just say it doesn't affect everybody and
be done with it.  Maybe just "does not implement some SGML syntax" ?

-Peter