Why use Python instead of Perl?

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou DLNXPEGFQVEB at spammotel.com
Wed Feb 5 18:18:16 EST 2003

On 5 Feb 2003 06:40:27 -0800, rumours say that walterbyrd at iname.com
(walterbyrd) might have written:

>1) Is python good for system administration tasks?

Just yesterday I helped a university --client of my company-- make all
their users have the same user id's across 4 Irix servers (the servers
are going to be part of a SAN).  The admins over there were very anxious
about this process (it's not a trivial thing, to have also to change the
user id's of the *files* in the local filesystems too, and avoid clashes
in case of any failure...).

To say they were impressed watching me build the script from scratch and
run the final version *successfully* after 5 hours, it would be an
understatement.  Their perl afficionado started taking my python
advocacy more seriously (as much as his final breath in-taking can be
trusted :).
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
Real email address: 'dHpvdEBzaWwtdGVjLmdy\n'.decode('base64')