Moving Language Cuisinart project to Windows?

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Tue Feb 11 17:29:55 EST 2003

* Mike Meyer <mwm at mired.org> [2003-02-11 21:14 +0000]:
> I've written a Python wrapper for some Legacy FORTRAN so it can have a
> modern GUI buith with Pmw/Tkinter. This works by the FORTRAN invoking
> C functions that invoke Python. This all works like a charm using the
> gcc tools on Unix and Python 2.2.
>
> Now the client wants it on Windows. My question is - what's the right
> toolset for this?

gcc :-) In its mingw incarnation: http://sf.net/projects/mingw/

Note that it's currently not possible to *embed* Python under mingw, but
it's very well possible (I do it all the time) to write Python
*extensions* using mingw. Making embedding possible via making Python
compile with the native win32 gcc toolchain is on my TODO list for a
long time now, but I currently can't find enough time to bring this to
an end :-(

So, to put it shortly, currently your main application must be written
in Python in order to be able to use mingw. It can then use Fortran code
via extension modules just fine.

After installing mingw, the next thing you wanna do is to enter "python
non ms compilers" into Google to find the part of the Python
documentation you're looking for ;-)

> Is building Python 2.2 and Tk/Tcl on with the cygnus
> toolset possible? Or would I be better off getting compilers for
> Windows, and which ones?

I'd recommend to go native Windows using mingw32, unless there are good
reaons to use Cygwin (wether native win32 Tkinter works on Cygwin I
don't know, but Cygwin does have almost everything Unixish, *including*
an X server nowadays - but then, if your clients want Windows, they
probably mean *native* Windows).

I'd also like to suggest you switch your build process to distutils, if
you haven't already. Cross-platform issues then normally just disappear.

Gerhard
--
Favourite database:             http://www.postgresql.org/
Favourite programming language: http://www.python.org/