Python vs. C++ Builder - speed of development

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Mon Feb 3 23:33:14 EST 2003

> From: Brandon Van Every [mailto:vanevery at 3DProgrammer.com]
>
> C++ is not the bottleneck of my current development.  At this
> stage I spend
> far, far more time figuring out how to objectify various 3D
> mathematical
> constructs.  I would have the same problems of mathematical
> decomposition in
> any language.  Development is slow for *that* reason, not C++.

May I suggest that you try experimenting and prototyping those constructs in Python, rather than just thinking about them. I've always found that I'm better at visualising and designing things if I can play with something that works or almost works. Most importantly, I'm more likely to find the limitations of an approach if I'm playing with it than if I'm just thinking about it or writing it down.

Sure, the final result may be slow as frozen molasses (OK - maybe not that slow) but when you're prototyping and playing that's usually not as important - you tend to restrict the dataset, etc to compensate.

If nothing else, it will give you another viewpoint to work from ;)

Tim Delaney