Python and ISO 9660

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Sat Feb 15 17:05:26 EST 2003

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 01:37:42PM -0800, Carl Bevil wrote:
> Hey all.  I'm working on a program that uses an embedded Python interpreter.
> The program will be burned onto CDs that use the ISO 9660 convention (this is
> a requirement of the target platform).  Unfortunately, one of the restrictions
> of the ISO 9660 format is an 8.3 naming convention.
>
> Several of the standard Python scripts in the Lib folder of the distribution
> do not follow this convention.  Needless to say, I'm a bit disappointed in this.
>
> Has anyone dealt with this before?  If so, how did you overcome it?

  I've not dealt with this, and don't know of an existing solution, but
there is planned support (soon) for zipfile imports.  That is, you will be
able to zip up the entire standard library into something that fits the 8.3
convention, and import the modules within the resulting zipfile.  Check out
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0273.html and the python-dev archives for
more information.

  Jp

--
        "I quite agree with you," said the Duchess; "and the moral of
that is -- Be what you would seem to be' -- or, if you'd like it put