IDLE FONT

Paul Mackinney paul at mackinney.net
Sat Feb 1 00:33:29 EST 2003

Alex Martelli declaimed:
> ppython wrote:
>
> > I use Linux and Python2.1.
> > What can i do to make bigger the font
> > on idle ...
> > i dont use the idle because the font
> > is so small....
>
> Simplest: edit the textfile (in your Python library
> directory) named:
>
> python2.2/site-packages/idlelib/config-unix.txt
>
> it probably looks somewhat like:
>
> [EditorWindow]
> font-name= courier
> font-size= 14
>

> all you have to do is change the font name and/or
> size -- experiment until you get the font you like.
>

> Alternatively, to perform this customization for
> ONE user only, e.g. yourself, copy the above mentioned
> configuration file to ~/.idle (i.e. to a file named
> .idle in your home directory) and edit THAT -- it
> takes precedence on config-unix.txt, if it exists.
>

> Alex
Well and good, but how about the following:

I like to have an Emacs window open for editing source, and an Idle
window open for running.  In Emacs, when I set the font to 'fixed', I
like the look. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to specify
this font in my .idle file.

Now, if I set Emacs to 'Courier 10' and Idle to 'Courier 10', I get two
Couriers that are different sizes. How to get 'fixed' or 'default' as my
Idle font?

TIA, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney