"self" in a class is annoying and errorprone

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at opus-gmbh.net
Wed Feb 12 09:18:33 EST 2003

Meinrad Recheis <meinrad.recheis at aon.at> wrote:
> ^whops that was a bee's nest i went into...
>
> ok, i m going to accept, that python is almost petrified.  anyway ruby is
> better in several dimensions,

This may be the case, just not in any dimensions I'd care about.

> and still willing to change or improve!

And this does distinguish it from Python how? If you'd have read this
list/newsgroup the last days, you'd have noticed that additions to the
language are currently hotly debated (i. e. the the addition of a ternary
operator).

Did you read the FAQ entry I mentioned at all? It explains in great detail
the reasons why 'self' exists and why it's *not* a bad thing.

Claiming that Python development has staled is just ridiculous considering
the current discussions on python-list and python-dev.

-- Gerhard